Sahara Sam’s Oasis is an indoor and outdoor year-round water park in West Berlin, NJ, just 30 minutes from Philadelphia and about 1.5 hours from the Montclair, NJ area. After a recent visit, we discovered it makes a really fun Day Trip destination, equally good for sunny summer days, or rainy cool ones, due to its wide array of fun water amusements..
Sahara Sam’s water rides and attractions fill an 80,000 square feet oasis and are sure to please everyone in the family — even moms who mostly just like to float on a lazy river. (That would be me.)
There is a Mount Kilimanjaro family raft ride, several water slides, the Adventure River, a super-fun Tim-Buk-Tu water tree fort, Lizard Lagoon for toddlers, Sam’s Slamdunker for basketball shots, a Crocodile Flats cargo obstacle course, and the slippery SAMAZON Ropes Adventure. Thrill-seekers bonus: The epic FLOWRIDER — the area’s only indoor surfing simulator. (You’ll have to sign a waiver to take a ride on that high speed surf ride)
There’s also a family leisure pool with plenty of seating so parents can lounge and relax while the kids splash around. Plus, a 3,000-square-foot family arcade for some dry-land activity.
The Beach Club offers outdoor fun with a large pool, a children’s splash park, a full-service Tiki Bar (can you say “tropical cocktails”?), sand volleyball courts, and a massive wave pool.
I found the entire water park to be clean and pretty, and since we went later in the afternoon on a weekday, it was also wasn’t very busy (a good way to avoid the weekend crowds). Whenever you go though, be prepared to get wet, and have a family fun time!
Things to Know Before You Go:
- Towels are not provided, so don’t forget to BYO.
- There are changing rooms and showers available.
- Little ones who are not potty-trained must wear swim diapers.
- There are chairs and tables available on a first-come basis. Cabanas are also available to rent for an additional $85 (indoor) and $74.95 (outdoor on a weekday) and $99.95 (outdoor on a weekend)
- The Desert Palms cafe offers typical amusement park food. (Think: chicken nuggets, pizza, burgers.) There’s also a full service bar — a nice added perk for adults. If you want to have a nicer sit-down meal, there are many restaurants all along Route 73.
- Sahara Sam’s offers Special Needs Nights with lowered noise levels, modified lighting, and limited ticket sales for a less crowded park.
- Cost: General Admission is $29.95 for ages 3 and up, in advance, online. (Order online or you’ll pay $36.95 when you get there). Kids 2 and under are Free. Annual Passes are $59.95 for unlimited visits.
- Additional Fees: You’re going to need a locker and that will cost you an additional $8 (small) or $12 (large). We needed a large for 4 people. You have to pay a $20 refundable deposit fee as well, which you’ll get back when you return your key.
Sahara Sam’s Oasis
535 North Route 73
West Berlin, NJ