Having a sleepover at a friend’s house is fun. Having a sleepover on a The Intrepid or at the American Museum of Natural History? That’s awesome! You can also catch some zzzs with zebras at the Bronx Zoo, spend a night on a real battleship in New Jersey, and sleep out under the stars in New York City!
Here are 10 unique sleepover spots for kids in NJ and New York City:
1) American Museum of Natural History in NYC offers the famed “A Night at the Museum” sleepover program for kids ages 6 – 13. As the doors close and the lights dim, you get to head out with flashlights in search of a variety of adventures: meet your relatives in the Anne and Bernard Spitzer Hall of Human Origins; climb the stairs and enter the Age of Dinosaurs; explore the live-animal exhibitions; and then discover the National Parks Adventure in 3-D the LeFrak Theater before the night comes to a magical close. Settle down for the night beneath the 94-foot-long blue whale, next to African elephants, or at the base of a striking volcanic formation and fall asleep in the darkened halls of one of the world’s most beloved museums. Cost: $145 per person. Get all the details here.
2) Liberty Science Center in Jersey City is one of our favorite Day Trip spots. LSC also offers “Camp-Ins” for science loving kids in grades 1 – 8. Campers get to have fun at all the exhibits, watch a movie in the world’s largest IMAX Dome Theater, take in a 3D film, enjoy an evening snack and light breakfast, and sleep among their favorite exhibitions. Cost: $60 per person. Get all the details here.
3) Bronx Zoo in NYC offers an often sold-out Family Overnight Safari experience for families with kids ages 5 and older. Ever thought about catching some zzzs in the company of zebras? Well you can! Bring your own tent to camp out among the animals. Spend the evening participating in after hour activities with the whole family. Then, camp out by the sea lions and dream about wildlife.Cost: $150.00 per person. Get all the details here.
4) New York City Department of Parks and Recreation offers an Overnight Camp Experience for families with kids ages 4 and up at 20 different spots around the city, including Prospect Park, 9th Street Beach in the Rockaways, and The Ramble and the Harlem Meer in Central Park. An exciting way to spend the night! Pitch a tent, explore the night life of the park then sleep under the stars. Tents are provided, just bring your own sleeping bags, flashlight, snacks, water bottle, and insect repellent, Cost: $500 for up to 30 campers. Get all the details here.
5) The Battleship New Jersey in Camden, NJ, offers group overnights for families with kids ages 6 – 17 on its legendary warship floating museum on the Camden Waterfront across from Center City Philadelphia. Campers (or should we say “sailors?”) get the adventure of living like a true sailor–cramped sleeping bunks, eating at chow time in the mess hall, and even get personalized “Dog Tags. Cost: $62 per person. Get all the details here.
6) Garden State Discovery Museum in Cherry Hill, NJ offers the “Ultimate Slumber Party,” which allows kids to stay over at the museum and enjoy a variety of activities. Curl up in the storybook castle, camp out in our tree house, enjoy manicures and pedicures or hang out with creepy crawlers, and sing karaoke! A midnight snack and breakfast are included. Cost: $35 per child for minimum 15 children. Get all the details here.
7) The Intrepid Sea, Air & Space Museum in NYC offers “Operation Slumber” overnight visits for families with kids ages 6 – 17. Overnights include educational activities, a visit inside the Space Shuttle Pavilion, a flashlight tour of the flight deck, a ride in a flight simulator and meals (snacks and breakfast). Kids also receive a goodie bag with a T-shirt! Cost: $120 per person. Get all the details here.
8) Adventure Aquarium in Camden, NJ offers a “Shark in the Dark” Overnight Program. Experience the Aquarium’s amazing shark collection, as well as sea turtles, stingrays and a multitude of different fish. After your adventure, you’ll spend the night sleeping up close with one of these amazing aquatic animals. The next morning, you’ll get a chance to visit with our penguins and hippos. It’s a shark-tastic experience you’ll never forget! Cost: $65 per person. Get all the details here.
9) The Cathedral of Saint John the Divine in NYC offers Knightwatch Medieval, a fun overnight experience designed for children ages 6–12 and their parents. This sleepover program offers a unique blend of education, fun and fantasy under the roof of the world’s largest Gothic cathedral. Be transported back in time to the age of medieval storybook kings, jesters, princesses and knights. Go on an interactive play and scavenger hunt, learn period dances and make clay gargoyles. A swordplay workshop (with safe foam swords) introduces young knights and warrior maidens to the fun of conquering foes. At the close of the evening, you roll out your sleeping bags on comfortable cots and falls asleep to the tales told by the resident storyteller under the protective arches of the Nave. Cost: $135 per person. Get all the details here.
10) New York Hall of Science in Queens, NY offer an NYSCI Sleepover Experience. Enjoy hands-on science activities, a 3D pajama party, milk and cookies, then roll out the sleeping bags for a night in the museum. Cost is $85 per person. Get all the details here.