Add this to your list of Essentials for a Stress Free Road Trip — podcasts! This screen-free option is perfect for getting kids engaged and entertained on long road trips (or anytime they are in the car). And with some really great options out there, parents will enjoy listening too.
Here are 5 fantastic podcasts for Family Road Trips:
- Brains On! is a science podcast for kids produced by NPR News and Southern California Public Radio. It’s a Gilmore family favorite. With topics from “Fart Smarts” to “How does GPS know where you are?”, these episodes are sure to please all ages.
- Little sleuths will love the Sherlock Holmes Adventures Podcast and its old-fashioned radio version of Sir Arthur Conan Doyle’s stories. (Moms will imagine Benedict Cumberbatch.)
- My girls were huge fans of Fetch! with Ruff Ruffman, which aired on PBS Kids from 2006 to 2010. It was a reality game show hosted by an animated dog named Ruff Ruffman with 10-14 year old kids as contestants. The podcast gives fans a behind-the-scenes look at the show, exclusive interviews with Ruff, and much more.
- Fans of Sesame Street (that’s everyone, right?) will love the Sesame Street Podcast, which offers all the same lessons and educational and funny episodes from your favorite furry and lovable monsters, in audio form. C is for Cookie and Car entertainment!
- Storynory is a podcast for young kids and tweens featuring original stories, fairy tales, Greek myths, and educational stories. Even better, they are performed by professional actors who make the stories come to life. Storynory is updated frequently, so you’ll always have a good story on long road trips.
Have a favorite family podcast we didn’t mention? Share it in comments.