Every parent benefits from some time away from the kids to relax, recharge, and spark the romance. Sometimes, a long trip away isn’t possible, but even one night away is enough to reconnect as a couple.
To celebrate my recent birthday, my husband and I booked a night at Westminster Hotel in Livingston, NJ. I know what you’re thinking— Livingston, NJ? (Melissa’s hometown, by the way.) The answer is absolutely. Sure we could have headed into NYC and whooped it up, but the goal was for a relaxing night, great dinner, and time alone. Westminster was the perfect choice.
Just 20 minutes from Newark Liberty International Airport and 20 miles west of NYC, the Westminster has a great indoor pool, spa services, a fitness area, but best of all, it houses Strip House—New Jersey dining outpost of the famed Manhattan restaurant.
We stayed in one of the recently renovated Club Rooms, which was spacious, beautifully designed, and offered plenty of upscale amenities such as plush robes, luxe toiletries,a 60 inch flat-screen television, and an iPod docking station. The biggest perk was the extremely comfortable bed and fluffy down pillows.
After relaxing in our room for a few hours and enjoying a bottle of Prosecco, we went down to Strip House for dinner.
Strip House has everything you want from a steak house:
- Fabulous decor – Crimson red walls and plush leather banquettes combined with black and white photos of 1920s Burlesque girls covering the walls (Strip House plays with its double entendre name) to give the restaurant an old-world sophistication with a wink to modern chic.
- Top-notch chef – Acclaimed chef Tom Valenti (best known for his signature Manhattan restaurant Ouest) is behind the exceptional food here.
- Great service — The servers here are at the top of their game.
- Fabulous cocktail and wine list – Since we weren’t driving anywhere, we indulged in a few cocktails. My pick was the Prickly Pear Margarita and my husband enjoyed the Manhattan.
- Great sides and starters- A drool-worthy Roasted Bacon Salad is a stand out, as are rock shrimp, herb-garlic fries, asparagus au gratin…all delicious.
- Steak – Perfectly charred and seasoned with salt and pepper, the no nonsense approach is the way steak should be done. Strip House does it right.
We left Westminster Hotel the next morning refreshed, connected, and very well fed. An entire grown-up vacation in just one night!